Daniel 11:44 a. and reports they shall fluster him from sunrise (east) and from north and he goes forth in fury great to to exterminate and to to doom of many ones. (Hebrew direct translation)
Daniel 11:44 b. But tidings from the east and out of the north, shall trouble him: therefore he shall go forth with great fury to destroy and utterly to make away many. (Hebrew/English translation)
Many personal true believers in Christ will not accept the papacy´s domination and control of their faith. Reports from the east and north is an expression used in the Old Testament for the enemies of God and the Israelites: the enemy were the Babylonians, Medo-Persians, Grecians, and the Romans, who came from the east or north to attack Israel. For further information see the following study.
As regards to the above text that tidings from the east and the north, shall trouble him the papacy, refers to the enemies of the papacy and they are all believers who keep the Ten Commandments of God and the Faith of Jesus Christ Rev 14:12. Why are the papacy afraid? Because these believers are preaching about the Second Coming of Christ, which will be very soon and that Babylon includes the Roman Catholic Church which will fall.
This will inevitably result in the final war on this earth called Armageddon, as explained and interpreted in the following text Rev 16:12-19.
The war will be between those believers who keep the 10 commandments of God written by his own finger and the testimony of Jesus Christ, (Rev 12:17. 14:12) versus Babylon: a mixture of all religions and beliefs. It will be a spiritual and literal war because the true believers in Christ will not be using weapons, however the opposing church of Babylon will use civil authorities and the state to accomplish its purpose and that includes the use of weapons. Rev 16:12-16. Rev 19:11-21.
Rev 16:12. Then the sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its waters was dried up, so that the way of the kings from the east might be prepared.
Looking at the traditional Adventist interpretation of the drying up of the river Euphrates, the waters on which Babylon sits on and when it dries up, means the finances to the city of Babylon have dried up, hence there is no longer any support, and therefore Babylon collapses.
The term Kings from the East is generally defined as Christ´s Second Coming.
Questions to the above interpretation:
Does the River Euphrates mean many waters on which Babylon sits on?
Does the drying up of the river Euphrates mean drying up of financial support?
What is the Biblical meaning of Kings from the East?
Does the River Euphrates mean many waters on which Babylon sits on?
The text used to support this view is taken from Rev. 17:15.The waters which you saw, were the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations, and tongues. This text is referring to Rev 17:1. Come I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters.
What do many waters mean in the book of Revelation?
Rev 1:15. His voice as the sound of many waters. (Refers to the voice of Christ in heaven).
Rev 14:2. And I heard a voice from heaven, like the voice of many waters, and like the voice of loud thunder. And I heard the sound of harpists playing their harps. (Refers to the 144,000 voices in heaven singing a new song verse 3).
Rev 17:1. Come I will show the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters.
Rev 17:15. The waters which you saw, where the harlot sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and tongues. (These people are related to one voice of praise and worship to the fallen church worldwide, which is opposite to the voices of the 144,000 who keep the Ten Commandments of God and the faith of Jesus Christ Rev 14:12).
Rev 19:6. And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thunder, saying, Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns.
Many waters are related to the voice of Christ up in heaven and the 144,000 up in heaven. Many waters are also related to the 144,000 singing a new song and the voice of the great multitude praising God in heaven. They also keep the Ten Commandments of God and the true faith of Jesus Christ. These commandments include the Sabbath day which is on a Saturday.
As regards to the harlot sitting on many waters, this represents the worldwide fallen church singing and praising God through false worship and teachings they have received from the scarlet beast. These teachings represent the wine of her fornication in Rev 17:2.3. These teachings are opposite to the Ten Commandments of God and the true faith in Jesus Christ. i.e. the sabbath day which is on a Sunday.
As for rivers meaning populated parts of the earth is just speculation and therefore reading into the text what is not there. Rivers in prophecy refer to life giving waters like the river of life but certainly not many peoples.
Does the drying up of the river Euphrates mean the drying up of financial support?
There is no Biblical text to support this view.
Analysis of the text Rev 16:12-16.
Rev 16:12 Then the sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river Euphrates, and its water was dried up, so that the way of the kings from the east might be prepared.
Where is the river Euphrates?
The river Euphrates is the southern blue line
It was the border between Gods people the Israelite’s, and their enemies. The border lies on the river flowing from the north and east of Israel. The enemies of Israel, who lived on the other side of the river Euphrates, where e.g. Assyria, Babylon, Medo-Persian etc.
What does it mean when the river Euphrates dries up?
It means that when the water s of the river has disappeared there is no border between Israel and their enemies. Hence, their enemies have direct access to attacking Israel.
What did this event mean to the kings from the east?
I have read many different commentaries and different interpretations of this text. Most are speculative also from the Adventist traditional approach. The traditional approach states that the kings from the east refer to Christ at his Second Coming from the East. Math 24:27 “For as the lightening comes from the east and flashes to the West, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.”
But this interpretation gives a problem with the grammar. The word “kings” in Rev 16:14 is written in the plural and not singular. That means there is more than one king. Some theologians have tried to get around the text by saying that the Second Coming involves Christ, the Father and the Holy Spirit making three kings. Even more, Christ is coming from the East and he will meet his people who are the priesthood of all believers and kings with him. Rev 5:10. Again, these interpretations do not agree with the context of the passage and the rest of the Bible.
Kings from the east is an indirect expression used in the Old Testament. It was an expression used for the enemies of Israel who lived just over the river Jordan or the other side of the river Euphrates who came from the east of Israel, e.g. the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Assyrian and Babylonians. When the river Euphrates and the Jordan river dried up in parts, mainly in the summer, then the enemies of Israel marched over the river, which was now dry ground, and this made it easier for the enemy to attack the Israelites. The enemies were referred to as the Kings from the east (Jos 11:1-3.) kings of the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizites, Jebusites, Hivites.
(Jos 11:5). When all these kings had met together, they came and camped together at the waters of Merom to fight against Israel.
Jos 11:4 So they went out, they and all their armies with them, as many people as the sand that is on the seashore in multitude. Jos 11:6. But the Lord said to Joshua, “Do not be afraid because of them, for tomorrow about this time I will deliver all of them slain before Israel. So it is God who does the fighting for his people in this text.
Jos 12:1 These are the kings of the land whom the children of Israel defeated, and whose land they possessed on the other side of the Jordan toward the rising of the sun (the east, “anatolé” in the Greek), from the River Arnon to Mount Hermon, and all the eastern Jordan plain.
Jos 12:2 One king was Sihon king of the Amorites.
Jos 12:4 The other king was Og king of Bashan.
In addition, the east or rising of the sun refers to Northern Arabia, Syria, and Mesopotamia. This was the area where the Magi or Wise men came from, before visiting the child Jesus with their gifts in Bethlehem. Mat 2:1. Thus Haran was in the land of the people of the east Gen 29:1.4. The king of Moab later brought Balaam from Aram (that is Syria), out of the mountains of the east
(Num 23:7. 22:5). Isaiah spoke of Cyrus, the Persian, as the righteous man from the east (Isa 41:2).
What does the text Rev 16:12-14 mean for us today?
It means there will come a time in the future when the border between believers in Christ and non-believers will be removed. The enemies of Christ thereafter will have access to destroying and exterminating all Christians who obey and teach the ten commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. Rev 12:17. When the border of security and protection is removed from Christians, then the wicked will go in for the attack and the last world war Armageddon will take place. This will happen just before the Second Coming of Christ literally, from the heavens and every eye will see him. Rev 1:7.
What else happens at that time according to Rev 16:13?
And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs coming out of the dragon, out of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
OK! We are talking about Bible prophecy here in the text.
Who does the Dragon represent in Bible prophecy?
Rev 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Who does the sea beast represent in Bible prophecy?
Rev 13:1-10. Rev 17:1-8. 2 Thess 2:1-12. Dan 7:7.8.19-25. Dan 8:9-12. Dan 11:16-45. The papacy and the Roman Catholic church system of worship.
Who does the false prophet represent in Bible prophecy?
The protestant church in the USA
Rev 19:20. Rev 13:11-13. First and foremost the “false prophet” refers the Protestant church in the USA, which have stopped protesting against the Roman Catholic Church; in addition it refers to all the Protestant churches all over the world who have stopped protesting against the Roman Catholic Church since the days of Martin Luther.
- The book Confrontation says, “Through two great errors, the immortality of the soul and Sunday sacredness, Satan will bring the people under his deceptions. While the former lays the foundation of spiritualism, the latter creates a bond of sympathy with Rome. The Protestants of the United States will be foremost in stretching their hands across the gulf to grasp the hand of spiritualism; they will reach over the abyss to clasp hands with the Roman power; and under the influence of this threefold union, this country will follow in the steps of Rome trampling on the rights of conscience.”
Rev 16:14 For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God almighty.
It is the spirits of demons who gather together and unite the Roman Catholic Church and Protestants throughout the whole world, through the means of spiritualism. Through two doctrines: the immortality of the soul and Sunday sacredness. Furthermore, these demons are working extra hard because they go out to all the kings of the earth who become the enemies of Gods people and attack them.
Notice “Kings” is in the plural just as kings from the East (rising of the sun) is in the plural in Rev 16:12. When the river Euphrates dries up; when the border of security and protection of Gods people on earth is removed by civil authorities; then the kings of the earth together with all the wicked go in for the attack against Gods people at the battle of Armageddon.
Should Gods people who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus be afraid?
What did God say to Joshua when the kings from the east, the enemies of Gods people were preparing for an attack on the Israelite’s?
Jos 11:4-6. So they went out, they and all their armies with them, as many people as the sand that is on the seashore in multitude, with many horses and chariots. When all these kings had met together, they came and camped together at the waters of Merom to fight against Israel.
But the Lord said to Joshua, “Do not be afraid because of them, for tomorrow about this time I will deliver all of them slain before Israel. So it is God who does the fighting for his people in this text. It is God of the whole wide universe who wins the battle of Armageddon.
E.G. White quotations taken at random
- As the defenders of truth refuse to honor the Sunday-Sabbath, some of them will be thrust into prison, some exiled, and some will be treated as slaves.
- As America, the land of religious liberty shall unite with the papacy in forcing the conscience and compelling men to honor the false Sabbath, the people of every country on the globe will be led to follow her example.
- The plagues upon Egypt when God was about to deliver Israel were similar in character to those more terrible and extensive judgments which are to fall upon the world just before the deliverance of God´s people.
- When Christ´s shall cease is work as mediator in man’s behalf, then this time of trouble will begin. The time of trouble occurs before the Second Coming of Christ and refers to the time of the seven plagues in Rev 16:
- When he leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent – – – Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great final trouble.
- Those who honor the law of God have been accused of bringing judgments upon the earth (seven plagues) and they will be regarded as the cause of the fearful convulsions of nature and strife and bloodshed among men that are filling the earth with woe. The power attending the last warning has enraged the wicked; their anger is kindled against all who have received the message, and Satan will excite to still greater intensity the spirit of hatred and persecution.
- It will be urged that the few who stand in opposition to an institution of the Church and a law of the State ought not to be tolerated; that it is better for them to suffer than the whole nation to be thrown into confusion and lawlessness – – -. This argument will appear conclusive; a decree will finally be issued against those who hallow the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, denouncing them as deserving of the severest punishment and giving the people liberty after a certain time, to put them to death.
- As the decree issued by the various rulers of Christendom against commandment keepers shall withdraw the protection of government and abandon them to those who desire their destruction, the people of God flee from the cities and villages and associate together in companies, dwelling in the most desolate and solitary places – – -. But many of all nations and of all classes, high and low, rich and poor, black and white, will be cast into the most unjust and cruel bondage. The beloved of God pass weary days, bound in chains, shut in by prison bars, sentenced to be slain, some apparently left to die of starvation in dark and loathsome dungeons.
- The people of God will not be free from suffering; but while persecuted and distressed, while they endure privation and suffer for want of food they will not be left to perish – – -. While the wicked are dying from hunger and pestilence, angels will shield the righteous and supply their wants. To him that walketh righteously is the promise: “Bread shall be given him; has waters shall be sure.” Is 33:16.
- The decree will go forth that they must disregard the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, and honor the first day, or lose their lives: but they will not yield, and trample under their feet the Sabbath of the Lord, and honor the institution of the papacy. Satan´s host and wicked men will surround them, and exult over them, because there will seem to be no way of escape for them.
- When the protection of human laws shall be withdrawn from those who honor the law of God (the ten commandments), there will be, in different lands, a simultaneous movement for their destruction. As the time appointed in the decree draws near, the people will conspire to root out the hated sect. It will be determined to strike in one night a decisive blow, which shall utterly silence the voice of dissent.
- As the siege of Jerusalem by the Roman armies was the signal for flight to the Judean Christians, so the assumption of power on the part of our nation (United States Of America) in the decree enforcing the papal Sabbath (Sunday) will be a warning to us. It will then be time to leave the large cities – – –.
- I saw the saints leaving the cities and villages, and associating together in companies, and living in the most solitary places.
- Let the principle once be established in the United States that the Church may employ or control the power of the state; that religious observances may be enforced by secular laws, in short, that the authority of the church and state is to dominate the conscience, and the triumph of Rome in this country is assured.
- The spirits of devils will go forth to the kings of the earth and to the whole world, to fasten them in deception, and urge them on to unite with Satan in his lost struggle against the government of heaven.
- When the leading churches of the United States, uniting upon such points of doctrine as are held by them in common, shall influence the state to enforce their decrees and to sustain their institutions, then Protestant America will have formed an image of the Roman hierarchy, and the infliction of civil penalties upon dissenters will inevitably result.
- And under the influence of this threefold union, this country will follow in the steps of Rome in trampling on the rights of conscience.
- Human laws will be made so stringent that men and women will not dare to observe the seventh-day Sabbath. For fear of wanting food and clothing, they will join with the world in transgressing God´s law. The earth will be wholly under my (Satan´s) dominion.
- With shouts of triumph, jeering and imprecation throngs of evil men are about to rush upon their prey, when, lo, a dense blackness, deeper that the darkness of the night, falls upon the earth.
- As Satan influenced Esau to march against Jacob, so he will stir up the wicked to destroy God´s people in the time of trouble.
- Next came the multitude of the angry wicked and next a mass of evil angels, hurrying on the wicked to slay the saints. But before they could approach God´s people, the wicked must first pass this company of mighty holy angels. This was impossible.
- The world has rejected His (God´s) mercy, despised his love, and trampled upon his law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.
- The wicked will be distinguished by their efforts to tear down the Creator´s memorial and to exult the institution of Rome. In the issue of the conflict all Christendom will be divided into two great classes, those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, and those who worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark.
- As the crowning act in the great drama of deception, Satan himself will personate Christ. The Church has long professed to look to the Savior’s advent as the consummation of her hopes. Now the great deceiver will make it appear that Christ has come. In different parts of the earth, Satan will manifest himself among men as a majestic being of dazzling brightness, resembling the description of the Son of God given by John in Revelation 1:13-15. The people prostrate themselves in adoration before him, while he lifts his hands and pronounces a blessing upon them, as Christ blessed his disciples when he was upon the earth – – – he heals the diseases of the people, and then in his assumed character of Christ, he claims to have changed the Sabbath to Sunday, and commands all to hallow the day which he has blessed. He declares that those who persist in keeping holy the seventh day are blaspheming his name by refusing to listen to his angels sent to them with light and truth. This is the strong almost overwhelming delusion.
When this false Christ comes he will accept adoration and homage and people will prostrate themselves before him. This picture is similar to when a pope receives homage from his subjects on a large scale.
 Ellen G. White, Confrontation (Grantham: The Stanborough Press, 1978), 588.
 Ibid, 608.
 Ellen G. White, Testimonies to the Church, Vol. 6 (Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Pub., 1948), 18.
 White, Confrontation, 627.628.
 Ellen G. White, Patriarchs and Prophets (Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Pub., 1958), 201.
 White, Confrontation, 614.
 Ibid, 614.615.
 Ibid, 615.616.
 Ibid, 626.
 Ibid, 629
 White, Testimonies to the Church, Vol. 1, 353.354.
 White, Confrontation, 635.
 White, Testimonies to the Church, 464.465.
 Ellen G. White, Early Writings, (Washington D.C.: Review & Herald, 1945), 282.
 White, Confrontation, 581.
 Ibid, 624.
 Ibid, 445.
 Ibid, 588.
 Ellen G. White, Prophets and Kings (Mountain View, California: Pacific Press Pub., 1943), 184.
 White, Confrontation, 635.
 Ibid, 618.
 White, Early Writings, 283.284.
 White, Confrontation, 614.
 White, Testimonies to the Church, Vol. 9, 16.17.
 Ibid, 634.